Saturday, August 20, 2011

Could McQueen's exhibit come to London?

Yes, please! I have been dying to see this exhibit and now I might get the chance. You may remember that I wrote about Alexander McQueen's Savage Beauty exhibit at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art being the most-visited exhibit (yes, ever!) created by the Costume Institute? If not, you can read about it here

And now (!!), Grazia has started a campaign and online petition to get the exhibit moved to London. This is what Grazia's editor wrote on their website:

"Do you admire the work of Alexander McQueen and wish you had experienced the sell out exhibition honouring his work which just closed at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art? If the answer is yes, then you also probably think it is totally ridiculous that one of Britain's greatest designers was honoured abroad, far far away from the city he was born, raised and educated in. So do I, and so does Grazia."


The people at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London were thrilled at this, stating that:

"we would love to host the exhibition, we have spoken to the fashion house about it as we really want to present McQueen's work to our huge fashion and design audience here in the UK."

McQueen's team seemed a little conflicted and said that:

"we have no concrete plans at present but are thrilled with the obvious appreciation of the exhibition at the Met and are waiting until the end of the exhibition before making any further decisions."

But this is what Grazia wrote afterwards:

"If enough people show interest in seeing the Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty exhibition in London, the Alexander McQueen business should re-think their current decision not to bring the exhibition home."

I hope they're right. Me not living in New York is really becoming more problematic by the day... but I'll be in Paris this fall and spring, so I'll definitely be able to fly to London and see the exhibit if it were to be moved. I even have some friends that are starting universities in the UK so then I can visit them while I'm there too - it's a win win.

Point being: I hope they move it! Let's cross our fingers!

Read more here.