Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ethical what now?

Oh. Ethical fashion. Uhm, about that...
I'm normally a huge fan of tassels, but what the hell is this? Does this even qualify as a tassel?
I really want to like it, but it's just so tacky. It looks like a cheap, really
bad knockoff of something that was already bad to begin with.
.
I won't go as far as to say that these are good, but they are definitely the best ones. With
the right outfit they could - maybe... possibly - be pretty cool. Or, what do you think?
I see some pieces of cool here. I think some people could make it work.
No comment.
Well, maybe just one. It's more of a question really: Do people even still use key rings?!
Okay, now that I've gotten that out of my system, I have to say that Vivienne Westwood should actually have a lot of credit for this. Not only is this "Ethical Fashion Africa" handbag collection eco-friendly, it also helped decrease poverty and female inequality in Kenya. This project is part of the International Trade Center's Ethical Fashion Programme, meaning it strives to make fashion sustainable economically, environmentally and socially. Westwood's awareness of environmental problems has affected both her work and her worldview and she says that "If people have an income and power and more control over their lives, they can choose not to have to exploit the environment because they have another way of earning some money". So true.

Many of the workers' income have increased by three to six dollars a day thanks to her handbag collection! Westwood says that "this is not charity, it's work" but I'd say it's both, and I think it's wonderful how much she's helping the less fortunate.

Get the whole story here.